Many clinicians recommend 24” wheels because that is the wheel size commonly used on wheelchairs and Mobile Shower Commode Chairs (MSCC). However, there are several reasons why 22” wheels may be a better choice. These are:
- Easier transfers – Smaller wheels protrude less above the seat, thereby providing less interference during lateral transfers.
- Better side access – Smaller wheels intrude less into the side access area.
- Better toilet bowl/aperture alignment – Smaller wheels allow the chair to back up further before the wheels make contact with the wall.
Some issues with smaller wheels include:
- The smaller diameter provides less leverage and requires approximately 10% more effort to rotate.
- For chairs that are adjusted to a high seat position, the interface for optimal range of motion may be negatively impacted.
As far as we know, Raz is the only MSCC manufacturer that offers both 22” and 24” wheels.